Find Me on Etsy!

Monday, January 7, 2013

Fee Fie Faux Fum


I love the look of knitted cables. Remember my first project, the cup cozy? I'd been in the mood to tackle a cabled project this past fall but I had so many projects planned already for the holiday that I put the idea of a cabled scarf on hold. Then I saw a faux cabled hat pattern in my mom's copy of Knitting (Holiday 2012) and I had to give it a try!

My model is adorable, no? I used "It's Amazing" yarn in Vineyard. The technique itself was fairly easy. The hat was done in sets of six. Three knits, three purls. One out of four rows had a simple carry over. Slip three knit stitches from the left to the right needle, purlwise. Slip the stitch furthest to the right, to the left, over the second and third stitches. Slide the remaining two stitches back to the left needle. Knit one, YO, knit one, purl three. Then repeat all the way around. There was a special cast off pattern but you'll have to check the magazine (don't want to violate any copyright issues).



I actually made two, I liked the look so much. That one was for a gift. I also knitted a matching scarf, though I did not use the faux cable technique. I did a much simpler "Gathered Scarf" designed by Maryse Rouider that I found on Ravelry. It involved changing sizes of needles and switching between stockinette and garter stitches. I should have blocked it but the scarf was the last gift I finished before my family gathered for the holidays and I didn't think it would have enough time to dry. Hopefully it will keep my niece, E, warm during those cold mountain months, regardless!

No comments:

Post a Comment